Sunday, October 18, 2009

Born-Again Unitarians?

I have been reading a book called "The Irresistible Revolution" by a young man named Shane Claiborne - a young Christian from Tennessee who poignantly describes his alienation from Christianity but his deepening relationship with Jesus. I know that may be a bit of a far-off topic for many reading this, but I wanted to share a passage from the book that struck me as familiar:


"In middle school, I had a sincere conversion experience. We took a trip to a large Christian festival with bands, speakers, and late-night pranks. One night a short, bald preacherman named Duffy Robbins gave us an invitation to 'accept Jesus,' and nearly our whole youth group went forward (a new concept for most of us), crying and snotting, hugging people we didn't know. I was born again. The next year, we went to that same festival, and most of us went forward again (it was so good the first time ) and got born again, again. In fact, we looked forward to it every year. I must have gotten born again six or eight times, and it was great every time. (I highly recommend it.)"


The parallel I see is this: in circle worship ceremonies such as Unconditional Love or Angel Wash, we are asked to accept not Jesus but simply each other. The effects of this prompt seems to be the same - the heightened emotional and spiritual feeling we feel in the worship space. Indeed, other faiths aim for this feeling as well - one of the teachers at my Sufi camp this summer stated one day that we were looking for a "born-again experience" in our dancing.

"Born-again" seems to be synonymous with "ecstatic." Would this make us "born-again" Unitarians? What does that term even mean, and what do we gain by seeking that experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment